Tuesday, January 13, 2015

From the Weekend: Scenes from the Kitchen Cure

I started on Friday and stopped on Monday.



Notice I didn't say "finish." That's 'cause I didn't finish. I did not clean the cabinets over the stove nor over the fridge. I did not clean the lower cabinets. I also didn't get to a couple of drawers.

But good enough is good enough.



I started a bit behind the 8 ball with a messy, messy kitchen.


I did countless loads of dishes.


Finally, I got these counters spotless.



Only to find Emma camped out on them later that night!


That's a paste made up of Dawn dish soap and baking soda. It does an OK job. I used to use it all the time, all over the inside of the oven.


But I don't have to, anymore! When we bought our new range a few years ago, I insisted we spend the extra bucks and get a self-cleaning oven. Woot! Living in the lap of luxury, now!



I cleaned this cupboard.

I found a few things to let go of.


These bowls are the last remains of a set of dishes my aunt bought for me in 1987.


The oldest food I found was a small jar of instant coffee dated....are you ready for it?


2004.


Yep. I remember I bought it to make an ice cream cake for my Mother's birthday one year.




That was Friday, my birthday.

On Saturday, I worked.



That night, I cleaned the coffee maker.



On Sunday, I started cleaning with the drawers. But then I went to work.

Monday.



I saved the fridge for Monday.




And that's all I've got.

Except for today. Today we have this:



I really hope the ceiling looks good painted blue!

3 comments :

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You HAVE been busy. Looks GREAT too. You've inspired me to get busy.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Marian said...

Happy belated birthday, Alana! I'm one of what is likely a very small number of people who would think that cleaning a kitchen from top to bottom would be a good way to spend a birthday! (I do hope you were having a good day, feeling productive and energized, as opposed to disgruntled that you found yourself cleaning on your special day...)

I hope it was just a bit of sanding your husband did on the ceiling, because otherwise, all your hard work cleaning the cupboards might be for naught :(

(And just to continue our earlier conversation...yes, I was a north side girl (our house was just a couple blocks north of the river, on the far east side of the city). I met my husband (a south side boy) at university, and we married while we were still students. Our apartment was one of the innumerable walk-ups southeast of the university, and I really missed the area when we moved to our first house (in the small city directly north of --- )

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks Lorraine!

And Marian--yes, I was happy. Felt good. Unfortunately, I came home from work at 10 pm last night to a kitchen completely covered in sanding dust. I was a little upset--but hey, he has to wash the ceiling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...