Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grieving....shelves.

This is so darn silly. They aren't even gone yet. And yet, once they are gone, I won't have the room to hold things I'm not...quite...ready...to...let go.

I put my new lampshade on the lamp in the living room yesterday, today I took the old lampshade out of the living room. I was about to happily toddle off to the basement with it when I remembered: it has no home down there anymore. Ok, so it's a little ripped on the inside, so I should let it go. But it's extremely difficult to find a lampshade of its size in my budget. I'm not sure it's even possible.

The basement truly is the place where things go to die. And it seems I need a transition period for things before I can truly let them go. Maybe that's all it is. Maybe not. I don't know. I'm reminded of Einstein's adage:
The problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.

Since I was feeling so glum anyway, I packed up about 10 lbs of clothing I've been waiting to take to consignment. But the truly sentimental favourites are still here.

I'm disappointed in myself.

3 comments :

scb said...

Last night I was re-reading Maxwell's explanation of the Outbox, and why it's a good thing to have a place where you put things that you think will likely be going, but you're not quite ready to let go. While they're sitting in the Outbox, you have a chance to detach from them, theoretically making the eventual letting go easier. Theoretically.

Don't be disappointed in yourself! You're undergoing a major sea-change in your basement, and it's bound to create some upheaval emotionally, too.

Sit back from it for a while. Read a book. Play a game with the kids. Talk to the dog. Or something...

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks, scb. You could say the basement IS my outbox!
I need sleep--and lots of it. Emma's had an eye infection for the past week and of course, no one has slept.

scb said...

Oh, poor kidlet! I hope she's feeling better soon, and that you all get some sleep!

Sleep. Hmm... that sounds like a good idea.

g'night!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...