Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First (Successful) Loaf!

We ran out of bread on the weekend.

The children were away at camp, so I decided to figure out how to bake my own.

I tried making a "no knead" bread from Mark Bittman--all I got as a bitter brick.

For my second attempt, I spent some time on the internet reading about yeast and so on. I found this lovely article in the Guardian and decided to try the recipe at the end.

(I didn't have a Vitamin C tablet, so I left that out.)

It makes the most delicious toast.

I made another loaf yesterday--and it was even bigger. I'm not sure how long I'll keep this up, but it is nice to know that I don't have to worry about running out of bread ever again.

4 comments :

onshore said...

Looks good! I've sometimes baked buns, but not lately.

Sallie said...

I can smell it all the way down here in Texas! I love home baked bread and yours looks yummy.

scb said...

Well done! I love the process (and the delicious aroma) of baking bread, though I haven't done it for ages. Mmmmmm...

Unknown said...

Yum! I'm off to check out that recipe, I've had luck with the no knead but I've been looking for a good simple sandwich loaf.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...