Friday, May 25, 2012

Grace Notes


Back when I was a new wife and mother, I also contemplated a career change: from journalism to interior decorating. In pusuit of my new goal, I stumbled upon the inestimable interior designer and author Alexandra Stoddard in my travels through the book stacks at the local library.

One of her suggestions was to pop a vase of flowers in your fridge.

Say what?

Imagine opening your fridge and seeing it. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

"Grace notes," Stoddard defines further in a book of the same name,
remind us that it is ofetn the little things, the small revelations, that make a great deal of difference in handling dissappointment, frustration and loss. They help us celebrate moments of joy by enabling us to unearth the underlying goodness of things.

Well, OK.


For me, grace notes can simply be a little spot of beauty I find to share in the normal drudgery of the day to day.

4 comments :

Carol-Anne said...

Love this idea and all of Alexandra Stoddard's! I've followed her work for years!

onshore said...

putting flowers on the fridge goes a bit over the top but in theory she is right. Small happy things are worth so much.

I do not know Alexandra Stoddard, I will need to google a bit.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, I found it from the William Morris project. Two questions: where did you shower when your bathroom was under construction? What do you use the bedroom on your first floor for?

Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead said...

The metal vase looks really cool. Nice job! And I'm a big fan of little projects because, while small, they can make a huge difference in your home and life!

Don't you just love WMP? It's really changed my way of thinking -- which is totally essential right now with our massive move!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...