Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to School: Scheduling Station


I'm not sure what else to call it. It came together quite organically.

Now that both kids are in public school, I need a place for their papers: A place where they can put them for me to sign--and a place for them to pick them up. Home "in" and "out" boxes, as it were.

I've been mulling this one over for a while. The logical place to put papers--my desk--is like putting them in a deep black hole.



 I decided to declutter this incredible hot spot as my William Morris Project for the William Morris Project post to link at Pancakes and French Fries, on Thursday.



I set the timer for 15 minutes thinking it would take me longer than that to get it done. It did: but only by 5 minutes--and I spent those five minutes actually cleaning the surface, not decluttering it.

I was thinking hard about creating a launch pad. One of the drawers in this dresser holds our winter gloves and hats. Right behind it is the coat/cleaning closet.

We used to keep our mail here, too.

One thing led to another and the next thing I knew, I was looking up projects from the old paper clutter course I took once at Simplify 101 and grabbing scrapbook paper and having a whale of a time. I didn't actually do anything with the folders other than label them. We'll see if the system is really necessary and whether it works before I invest any more time into it yet.



I just realised I need a file labelled "Mom"--so the kids will put what needs my attention into it. Then, I'll put the papers they can take back to school in the folders labelled with their names.

I started filing some of the papers and realised I had to write down when certain things were going to occur. I went to the kitchen. piece of paper in hand, to write it down on the calendar we keep on the back of the door. Then I back-tracked to get a pencil, as I always do. And that's when I got the great idea to move the calendar to this spot.


I added some pens and pencils in a jar and just like that I had something official.

We'll see how it works out.

Linking to The William Morris Project at Pancakes and French Fries.
Thanks Jules!

8 comments :

May said...

I think the most genius step you put into your organizational plan was providing a MOM file and making the kids responsible for putting the stuff into it. You get that working and you will have made huge strides in raising responsible kids.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I need a place like this in my house. Hope all goes well and that your spot doesn't become a magnet for keys, junk mail and other crap. Why is it so tricky to keep places like these orderly?

Kelly said...

Very nice. My kids are in 2nd & 5th grade, and I've pretty much given up on any true "system." Papers end up on our kitchen island, where they float around until I'm ready to deal with it all. (And like you, my desk is a black hole, so I certainly can't put anything there!)

Unknown said...

Wow, this turned out great!! I agree, the mom file is genius. I don't have kids, but when I do, I hope I'm this organized!

Rita said...

Going to chime in also on how genius the Mom folder is. Wish I'd thought of that when my kids were younger. Looks great and I bet it will work great, too.

onshore said...

It looks functional and nice. I'm sure it works.
What will You do now that you don't home school anymore?

Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead said...

Great job! And props for doing it in only 15 minutes (minus the cleaning!)

As my daughter gets a bit older, I am going to have to remember the mom folder. She usually is really good about telling me when she has brought home something from preschool, but I do like that responsible step.

Courtney said...

This is brilliant. And, I laughed out loud about your desk as a black hole - mine too! Super post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...