Friday, April 26, 2013

The Pile in the Hall

When I cleaned my son's room last weekend, I very carefully did not show you the pile I'd made.



Right here, right outside his doorway.



It sat there Monday.

It sat there Tuesday.

It sat there Wednesday.

Finally, on Thursday, (yesterday) I got tired of walking around it. I wanted to close the closet door, too.

That's me standing in the doorway to the bathroom. Hi!

So, I got rid of it.

The disgustingly dusty Lincoln Logs with soldiers in the dustpan got upended into the kitchen sink and everything was washed. There's no "before." It was that bad.



After playing with them for a few minutes after school, my daughter helped me bag them up for donation.



I had to wait until my son got home for permission to put things like the boxes his Bionicles came in into the garbage and the recycling bag. He was OK with it. After that, I made short work of what was left: the volcano was dusted, wrapped and placed in the games room, the clothing was put into the laundry hamper, and the storage container repurposed.

Ta Da!

Sorry. Not exactly stellar photos. Hard to do in the evening.

Much better.

my poor floors!


This was hard for me. I'm not sure what's going on in my head, either.

It doesn't sound reasonable once I say it out loud, but all day I was in that anxious state I get when I think "I got nothing done, today."

I'm supposed to be working in the basement, on the shelves. That's the focus. And while I did work there and do a few things, all day long I really felt like I got nothing done. This project wasn't on a to do list. It wasn't an anticipated part of the project "cleaning my son's room." It wasn't a decluttering project, or an organizing project. It was just stuff in the hallway. It was just left overs. And because of that, I resist doing these sorts of things. (There's a similiar situation currently in my dining room.)

That's why I took pictures and wrote this blog post--so I have proof I really did do something today and it counts.



(There's a reason the word "therapy" is a part of my blog's name!)

Anyway, it was a pile--and I cleared it. That qualifies me for a link up to Project Simplify. Yay!

Project Simplify on Simple Mom

5 comments :

onshore said...

Of course it counts!!
Now you are truly finished with your son's room.

It's hilarious to wash toys, I once washed barbies that I sold, it was like playing with them but not exactly :)

Claire Printz said...

Oh my goodness, I have a pile in MY hallway from clearing out and organizing our spare room. We're pile twins! Only mine hasn't been fully dealt with yet. ;) The hardest part of any decluttering/organizing project for me is always dealing with the fallout afterward. It usually takes me at least a week (or a month) to get the donation boxes loaded in my van and drop them off.

Alana in Canada said...

I knew you would say that Leena! (The part about counting, not the part about washing. I was sort of enjoyable to get them all clean.)

Exactly, Claire! Why is that? It's like we delay gratification of a job well done.

Anne At Large said...

Somehow this is my favorite part of a project. The room is clean, but so is the hallway and all the things are washed and the whole area looks so nice - it's like the icing on the cake.

And the first part made me want to go wash my walls. So, thanks, I think?

Alana in Canada said...

I'm sure it won't be as arduous a job as mine was! Go get 'em.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...