Friday, March 27, 2015

Becoming a Cozy Minimalist

When the Nester announced she was offering a decorating class, I jumped.

Even though I am taking two other courses.

Even though I am helping my Mom both recover her health and renovate her house.

Even though I plan to tackle my back hallway and stairwell (starting next week!) as part of the One Room Challenge.

I just may have become that tablespoon of peanut butter one is "allowed" on that diet toast and spread myself a bit thin.

But then, I never do anything by halves.

I've decided to work on the dining room.


I want to paint the walls the slightest blue-green.

I want to replace the light fixture.


Replace the table with something both bigger and smaller.

Put a reading chair (which would also be an end chair) by the window.


And paint this ugly pine door--and possibly remove this bookcase entirely.



The course is six weeks long--and the first assignment is to "quieten the room"--take out everything tht isn't nailed down. I am allowed to keep what makes this room function for us.

Of course, Easter--one of the three times we actually use this room as a dining room--is right around the corner.

Instead of the Easter bunny, the men in white coats may just show up on my doorstep.

I don't know why, but I feel scared to death.

2 comments :

marian said...

It does seem like a lot to be doing all at once, and with Easter around the corner too! I do hope - for the sake of your sanity - that you're going to hold off on any major work in the dining room until after you've had your Easter dinner? Because the stress, otherwise ... oh my!

I'm all for accepting challenges/doing courses which get us moving and motivated and give us direction, but I think it can be hard sometimes to make them fit into the schedule of our own daily lives. I can only speak for myself here, but I often feel like quite a failure when comparing myself to some home blogs where the seemingly impossible is attained in a short amount of time. I hope, with everything else going on in your life at this time, that you're able to cut yourself a little slack.

Alana in Canada said...

Thank you, Marian. I appreciate the caution! I think I am going to shift the focus of the ORC from the hallway and stairwell to this room. That will eliminate a lot of pressure and inconvenience!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...