Assignment #2 of The January Cure by Apartment Therapy is to make a list of ALL the things you want to get done round and about the house this year.
I've already identified a few large projects I want to accomplish this year. (Those are in different colours below.) This list, however, is supposed to more comprehensive and more detailed. I debated about whether to include things to clean: but I decided I would just because that makes the list more useful to me. I intend to tackle the cleaning chores as we "Cure" each area they belong in.
I don't expect you to read this. Not all the way through. Heavens. It is a great for me, though, 'cause it's all here and won't overwhelm me the way a paper list would.
The timeline for this is loose, though I suppose it should be for the year. I just completed the bulk of my "Summer 2013 To Do List" with the kitchen refresh--so a year and a half sounds about right. I've transferred the left over items from that list to this one, so this one now officially replaces it.
I want to plant flowering perennials that will survive zone 3. For the front, I have small flowering shrubs in mind. That may be too ambitious. We have a few hostas growing. That may be all we can do besides some cedar which I may or may not want. (Ferns are too water intensive.)
I just want a few small shrubs to hide the ugly foundation.
For the sunny back yard, I just want a lovely "tapestry" type hedge along the fence. I may delay these plans for the summer of 2016, however, as I really want to get the debt paid down rather than spending the money on plants.
From the stairs, looking back towards the front door.
- Fix the light fixture. I just replaced the lightbulbs and it isn't working. I think either the wires inside the fixture are loose (it's been acting up ever since I took it down to spray paint it) or the wires connecting it to the junction box are loose. I need a tool to figure out which it is. I replaced the fixture entirely, but wasn't sure how I liked it, so I never posted it. I think I should.
- Clean the rug.Instead, I replaced it. Housekeeping Challenge Day 5: Company's Coming.
- Wash the wall Done, not posted.
- Paint the wall. (Part of the ORC challenge which starts April 2nd.) Done, not posted.
- Remove popcorn ceiling Day 8&9
- Paint walls Be Gone, Yellow-Green!
- Paint doors (4) Inspired by Dressers All Dressed Up.
- Paint trim Inspired by Dressers All Dressed Up
- Clean out dresser done, not posted.
- Paint the dresser--or just the top? We made a new top! Makeover Magic: The Back Hallway, Before and After.
I taped out the dimensions of a mirror we have. Then I realised I had to do something about the wall colour first!
- New light fixture? (Problem is the same one as above, only I didn't spray paint a thing! done, not yet installed.
- Sand stairs done
- Stain stair treads a "medium brown?" painted instead
- Paint risers white done
- Find, buy and install runner? no.
- Sand handrail. done
- Stain handrail (black/ebony?) stained badly. Needs to be redone.
- Put up mirrors? no.
- Sew new curtains for window
- Make or buy and install screen for window. (summer breezes!)
- Edit bookshelves done. Minimalism and Me. Decluttering.
- Paint bookshelves done.
- Install a hook for the step ladder
- Put another coat of wax on the coffee table Done. Project Day.
- Declutter dvds, done, not posted.
- Wash slipcover Done in April. Put it back on in August. Housekeeping Challenge Day 7: Not the End
- Mend the cover sheet on the slipcover. Done.
- repot cacti with better soil mix. Done. (It died anyway.)
Dining Room/Home office:
- Hem curtains (Hung the pole higher.)
- Edit bookshelves. Done. Took down shelves over the desk, a bookcase and re-stocked and re-styled the Expedit. Styling the Bookshelves.
- Declutter papers, files, office drawers, command centre.
- I completely overhauled the dining room/Home Office during 2015. The end result (and a conversation about the process) is in this post from April 2016.
Chris made me this lovely pull out shelf where the old wooden cutting board used to be. It fell apart when I removed it last summer to paint the cabinets. It's a great place to put the cookbook when I'm cooking--but it needs some protection!
- Clean oven Done. Scenes from the Kitchen Cure
- Clean fridge Done. Scenes from the Kitchen Cure
- Touch up cabinets
- Paint and finish pull-out board. Done.
- purchase glass door to the back door landing (again, one of those things I may put off until the debt is paid off.)
- Put up hook for pendant light cord by plug in.
- Clean grout (replace?)
- replace caulking around tub done.
- make hole for fan bigger or buy a better fan. Chris made a bigger hole. We still have moisture problems.
- figure out why the toilet isn't flushing properly and fix it.
- Prime ceiling boards with shellac based primer and repaint. Chris did this for me: knots are still bleeding through.
- Wash walls done.
- Remove wire shelving? done.
- Remove clog in toilet plumbing We bought a new toilet!
- Edit Clothes. AT Closet Cure in September. Assignment #2, Assignment #3
- Purge magazines Done! Scenes from the Weekend: The Bedroom Cure
- Get a longer extension cord for the closet light Done. Project Day
Basement Laundry Room/Pantry area:
- Clean and organize pantry Done. The Pantry: At Last and Experimenting on my Face
- Reconfigure area between the sewer stack and the stairs (pictured above). done, not posted.
- Hang curtain?
- Wash stairs Done. Comings and Goings
- Paint stairs and retack stair mats
1. Declutter and organize the following areas:
- Christmas and Holiday items. (Under the basement stairs, china cabinet, basement shelves.) I want to get this done this month. I am committing to spending at least 15 minutes a day on it--except for days when I work more than six hours. The Christmas Decorations are done. Christmas Decorations Tidied.
- Basement storage and recyclable area.
2. Sell/Donate the boxes of books in the garage. Mostly done, not posted.
3. Begin the process to wire the house properly.
Whew. I was wrong. It is overwhelming--no matter where I write it down!